ArtSpan’s flagship program, SF Open Studios (SFOS), has created authentic connections between artists and patrons since 1975. This year, our methods will have to adapt, but our mission has not changed. We are energized by the challenge - using our existing tools and exploring new ones - to build the most effective program to serve and support our treasured artists.
SFOS 2020 will be a hybrid event that occupies virtual and physical spaces and operates across multiple platforms to maximize engagement, while ensuring the safety and comfort of artists and visitors. SFOS’s core objective - to connect artists and collectors - will remain at the center of our programming. We are building in flexibility so that we can respond quickly to changing guidelines around social gatherings.
The following will characterize SFOS 2020:
- ArtSpan is strengthening its web platform to better connect artists with patrons and is forging new partnerships to support art sales and shipping.
- Virtual initiatives will launch as soon as possible to provide artists with immediate support. Digital elements of SFOS 2020 will be active by the summer.
- SFOS 2020 will reimagine our ties to geography and weekend dates.
- In the fall, ArtSpan will host live programming to create a special celebration, maximizing the opportunities available at that time. This may include live on-line programming, in-person exhibitions, scheduled studio visits, or a virtual gallery.
- ArtSpan will rigorously spotlight registered SFOS artists across all our existing social channels and newsletters as well as in our future planned advertising, both print and online. Our objective is to engage the tens of thousands of visitors who normally attend SFOS in an immediate and personal way.
- We are excited that our digital features have the opportunity to reach collectors outside of the area, and we will work to actively broaden our audience.
- Our theme is ADAPT.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to adapt SFOS 2020, and we look forward to you being part of it. We encourage all artist members to submit your artwork to be featured in our SFOS 2020 promotional campaign. Learn more about this paid opportunity, including cash awards, here.
The ArtSpan Team
MEET LOCAL ARTISTS IN THEIR CREATIVE SPACES
SF Open Studios is an annual, month-long art event in October and November that showcases over 800 emerging and established San Francisco artists in their studios. Explore our city and find amazing art at every turn. Discover an authentic connection to your art community and artwork in myriad forms, from painting, photography, and printmaking to glass, metal sculpture, and more.
The SF Open Studios event is FREE for visitors.
See the SFOS weekend breakdown and other SFOS events.
Get around SF Open Studios using ArtSpan's SFOS Guide, the Online Guide and the iOS App.
See over 400 works of art in a multitude of media, representing ArtSpan SF Open Studios artists from all neighborhoods.
Kick off SF Open Studios early by celebrating with the artists at a SFOS Preview Party!
Nested with the SF Open Studios event, Youth Open Studios provides young artists under age 18 to exhibit their work in SFOS.
See how ArtSpan partners with art-friendly businesses to exhibit the artwork of SFOS artists and promote their SF Open Studios events.